Saturday, July 13, 2013

Principal Evaluation E-Portfolio

This year, after many years of negotiating, principals are being evaluated using a comprehensive evaluation form.  We have always been evaluated, but now, the State is using an evaluation system which measures performance on multiple measures including student achievement.  We are still waiting for more information, but in the meantime, we're asked to share evidences of what we've done this past year to improve our school.  We will also be developing a long-range plan and setting annual goals to reach those plans.

For the past couple of years, I've been meaning to start an ePortfolio to document my personal growth as an educational administrator.  I never quite got started, though, even if our students were keeping their own electronic portfolios using weebly  We even had first graders with their own weebly page, and it was amazing that some of them got the hang of things so quickly!  I guess I was waiting for the right opportunity to get going!

I have a meeting with our Complex Area Superintendent in a couple of weeks, and I am finally starting an ePortfolio.  I needed some tutoring -- I tried to learn things on my own, but there were little glitches that I didn't know how to rectify -- but now, I'm enjoying it!

As principals, we need to model what we want our staff and students to do.  Last year, I encouraged our teachers to create a class webpage, and most of them did.  They found that updating their assignments and notes to parents on-line kept them organized and led to better home-school communication.

Last year, I learned how to blog, and after that, I created several different blogs to communicate with parents:  Hale Kula Highlights, Hooray for Hale Kula Staff, and Hooray for Our Volunteers.  I recently created a blog to document our $33.2 million construction project.  This year, I am learning to create a web page on weebly, and while it hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be,  I'm proud to be learning something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment