Thursday, March 8, 2018

Science is a Verb

I learned science through textbooks. Suffice it to say that I don't recall much from my classes. When I was studying to become an early childhood educator, I was introduced to a new way of teaching science through hands-on experiences. Dr. Pickens from the University of Hawaii provided an "aha" moment for me that I never forgot: "Science is a verb," he shared, and that changed my views as an educator about science.

Our Hawaii schools are expected to transition to the Next Generation Science Standards by 2020, and if implemented correctly, students will be actively sciencing rather than just learning science concepts through books. It will not be easy because many of us who became elementary educators do not have strong backgrounds in science.

Recently, Alvin Lin (@teampueo), a Science Resource Teacher funded through a DoDEA grant. "introduced" the shift to our complex area principals.  As an administrator, my professional development generally focuses on leadership issues or mandatory trainings. This presentation was a breath of fresh air! We were scientists, making observations about "Mystery Fish." I loved the time spent working with my partner, exploring, discovering, and taking notes on our observations.  As I looked around the room, I noticed that all of us adults were absorbed in what we were doing and having FUN! If anything, the time for exploration was much too short!

Alvin then shared a "Tale of Two Classrooms." The results were surprising but at the same time, not surprising. (If you want to read the Bertelsmann Foundation study, here's a link.) The main point of this study: Make learning stick! Stand and deliver is not enough; learning must be student-centered, relevant, and process-based.


I am definitely not an expert in science education, but I do know that it is important for students to explore and discover about their world through sciencing. Kids are naturally curious and ask hundreds of questions, if we let them. As a mom as well as an elementary school teacher, I loved opening up worlds for my children by building on their natural curiosity about the science around them.

Back in 2012, I blogged about an exciting project our students were participating in.  ("Science is an Adventure") Unfortunately, the sea urchin project lasted for just two years, but this is an example of the kind of sciencing that makes learning stick.  With guidance from experts like Alvin Lin, and by collaborating with their colleagues and learning from each other, I am optimistic that our teachers will make the shift to NGSS and teach students to science.





2 comments:

  1. DR ISIKOLO is simply the best spell caster and helper. My name is Loreta Emilio, Out of respect for you and your spells I must make this testimony know to all. I've been to other spell casters without seeing any result. I just wished I came to you earlier, i got the best from you. My ex husband was gone for a year and I went everywhere and other spell casters for help but no result until my friend introduce me to Dr Isikolo After the Love Spell was done and in 48 hours as he promised, I finally got a calls from him. His spells worked wonders and my husband is back with full of love. It's a miracle! He suddenly came back with flowers saying that i should forgive him, i was truly flabbergasted and shocked when my husband kneel down begging for forgiveness and for me to accept him back. I'm really short of words and joyful, And now i am a joyful woman once again. Thank you so much Dr Isikolo. To everyone who is looking for a real spell caster should contact DR ISIKOLO On his website: https://isikololovetemple.com or email: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com You can also WhatsApp him on +1(725)240-4536

    ReplyDelete
  2. This great powerful spiritual man restored my sorrow to happiness. My husband just woke up and decided our marriage was over. For a few months now, Roger and i have not been going well because he was having an affair with his assistant at work. I loved my husband so much and decided to stay and work on our marriage. In a short time, Roger stopped coming home and his close friend told me he has another apartment where he live with her. I was hurt and went on seeking for help because Roger was different from the man i married 10 years ago. Luckily, i found Dr Ilekhojie who promised to return my husband back to me. He performed a reconciliation spell which returned Rogers back and now we are both happy again with our boys. If you have issues like mine, send Dr Ilekhojie an Email (gethelp05@gmail.com) or contact him on Whatsapp/Viber (+2348147400259

    ReplyDelete