Friday, October 5, 2018

Are You Bored Yet?

It's been a little over three months since I officially retired after working for 45 years as an educator -- 27 years as a classroom teacher and 18 years as an administrator. A common question I'm asked these days is "Are you bored yet?" to which I respond, "No." "Well, what do you do all day?" is the next question. Hmm . . . let's see, I go to the gym, I take our dog out for walks, I work around the house or I work in the yard. I read or I write. I have appointments. I plan for upcoming events. People look at me a bit strangely as if they're thinking to themselves, "That sounds so boring!"

Today marks the end of the first quarter for public schools in Hawaii. If I were sitting around the house with nothing to do, I would definitely be feeling it now. I loved my job right up until the day I retired. I loved the people I worked with; I loved the students; I loved the challenges; and I really loved making a difference in people's lives. But once I retired and turned the responsibility of leading the school to the new principal, I chose not to look back with regret. 

I made a resolution of sorts that every weekday, I would do at least one chore so that on the weekend, I can relax. So every day, I do something like vacuuming, weeding, doing laundry, going through cabinets or drawers and purging or organizing, washing the car, cleaning windows, or working in the yard. I figure that after a few months, I should be caught up and after that, it should be easier to maintain.

After completing my task-of-the-day, I am free to do whatever I want until Randy comes home from work. Sometimes I binge-read. I've read so many great books since I retired! Other times I go shopping although I don't really need much of anything now that I'm not working. I might pick up my Mom and take her somewhere; she is almost 91 years old and lives by herself so I know she enjoys the company. I realize that for once in my life, what I do is my choice and not dictated by by schedule as a student or a wife or a parent or a teacher or a principal.

There may be educational opportunities for me in the future. I will think carefully before making a decision. As a lifelong educator in Hawaii, I believe I still have something to offer. For now, though, this retirement has been exactly what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment