Thursday, May 25, 2023

“Gifts without End”

 Yesterday, my husband Randy and I attended a National Kidney Foundation of Hawai`i volunteer event at the Downtown Art Center, a “hidden gem” which opened three years ago in a City-owned building in Chinatown. As I strolled through the gallery, I was intrigued by a particular display.


There were five quilts panels made up of unique 7 inch squares, art pieces which were a tribute to a loved one who was an organ donor. Next to the artwork was a short description of the donor. I thought of our son, Jarand, whose corneas were harvested to give sight to two people. He passed away five years ago in Nevada from Chronic Kidney Disease, and I wrote about an event we attended for families of organ donors.  (Please Consider Being a Organ Donor.) 

Yesterday, I learned that the National Kidney Foundation of Hawai`i was key in the formation and continued support of the Hawaii Donor Family Council and the Family Bereavement Support Group. NKFH doesn’t just focus on kidney health; they are involved in all aspects of helping us improve our quality of life through education and free health clinics. Please contact them at https://kidneyhi.org/ if you would like more information. 

We were gifted two books at last night’s event.


As I sit here reading the personal remembrances and gaze at the photos of those who contributed to these books, I am filled with an overwhelming sense of gratitude for those who, in their time of great grief, nevertheless gifted life or the gift of a better quality of life for someone else. They truly give “gifts without end.”

No comments:

Post a Comment