Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Giving Thanks 2018

I considered not writing a blog for Thanksgiving. This year has been challenging with the unexpected passing of our second son, Jarand, in May. As I reflected on this past year, though, I realize that there is still much to be thankful for.

I am thankful for my family who has helped me to be strong in this most difficult of times. My husband Randy and our sons, Justin and Jordan, have been a source of strength. Together, we help each other by recalling events and memories of Jarand, the son and brother we knew and loved. Jarand has also given us an opportunity to build awareness of Chronic Kidney Disease, and we hope that by sharing his story, we can help others. Jarand passed peacefully in his sleep; we had spoken with him the night before and ended our conversation with “I love you.” I am grateful for that last conversation with him.

I am thankful for Randy, my husband and soul mate for nearly 42 years. Like all married couples, we have had our ups and downs, but through it all, we have remained best friends and supported each other. This was especially true these past few months which were, undoubtedly, the most challenging experience in our marriage. I am proud of Randy for all he has accomplished for our State throughout his professional career, and I look forward to spending more time with him now that he will be retiring at the end of the year. 

I am thankful for Justin, our oldest son, who is a great Dad to our grandsons. When Jarand decided to move to the mainland to be closer to his nephews, Justin helped him get settled. I know that Jarand missed Hawaii but with his big brother’s help, he was able to acclimate and thrive in his new home. I am proud of the way Justin is raising his sons. They are respectful and so much fun to be with! I am a Proud Grandma.

I am thankful for Jordan, our youngest son, who is serving our country in the Air Force and recently returned from a deployment to Afghanistan.  We are so proud of him! After working with military families for so many years as the principal of Daniel K. Inouye Elementary School, I know there can be many challenges. Yet Jordan is upbeat and independent, and I am confident that his military experience has helped him as he plans for his future.

I am thankful for my family and friends who have been there for me during these past few months. They share their own memories of Jarand, and their many stories and photos help us to heal. We realize what a special son we had, and although we will always miss him, I am proud to know that Jarand had such a positive impact on so many people.

I am thankful for everyone at Daniel K. Inouye Elementary School. After serving as their principal for so many years, they were my second family. It was not easy to retire, especially when I was still enjoying my job and the people I worked with, but I know that it was the right decision. Retirement has allowed me to relax and enjoy the simple things in life that I didn't even realize I was missing.

Despite the curve ball that life threw at us this past year, I realize that there is still much to be thankful for. May you all count your blessings and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

This was the last selfie of our family, taken on New Year's Day 2018.


No comments:

Post a Comment