Friday, January 26, 2024

This and That

Random happenings and thoughts:
  • Yesterday, I had the pleasure of viewing a wonderful film produced by PBS Hawaii back in 2011.  “Dream Big: Nanakuli at the Fringe” is a film that I wish every educator could view and discuss. I watched it at a  What School Could Be community virtual event and a discussion followed the viewing. It was amazing and heart-warming to see the transformation of the students through this creative arts program! The film begins with students sharing about how Nanakuli High and Intermediate is always at the bottom of all the schools based on test scores, but it is evident that they are proud of their program, their school, and their community. Check out the website for the Nanakuli Performing Arts Center; it is attractive, informative, and up-to-date. As a blogger, I was most excited when I read the students’ blogs about their experiences as part of the program; they are well-written. Teacher Robin Kitsu, a Milken Educator Award winner, is the inspiration behind this program. He’s been at the school for over 30 years; clearly he is committed to the Nanakuli community. Watching the film made me think of Candy Suiso, another extraordinary teacher on the Leeward Coast who created a venue for students to collaborate and create videos and other multi-media projects for the community via Searider Productions,  Like Robin, Candy is committed to the community. I know there are many other outstanding and creative educators like them in every school. If more of their stories were shared, the public might have a more positive view of our schools. 
  • Today, I went to the Public Library for the first time in years. The library was one of my favorite places when I was growing up. I loved to read and still remember some of my favorites. When I began teaching, I borrowed books to read to my students, and when I became a Mom, our sons and I went to the library weekly, dragging a big bag filled with books. I have so many wonderful memories involving some of our favorite books and authors: Leo Lionni, Ezra Jack Keats, Tomie DePaola, Eric Carle, Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad stories, Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are, and Judith Viorst's Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day. I don't know when I stopped going to the public library; it was probably when our sons got older and could choose their own books or maybe it was when I became a principal and no longer read to students daily. Today, I decided it was time to go back. I browsed through the picture books, looking for our favorites; they were still on the shelves, but I wonder if children today enjoy them as much as we did back then. I decided to borrow a couple of books by authors I enjoy so I got a new library card, my first in more than 20 years. My husband and I have been buying books from Amazon; maybe it's time to borrow them instead. 
  • This semester, I am supervising four student teachers from the University of Hawai`i, West O`ahu. I've done this in the past, and I enjoy seeing these young people grow in confidence from the beginning to the end of the semester. They all have amazing mentor teachers, and I know they will be successful and grow from their experience.  We need to encourage our young people to become teachers; what could be more important than preparing our young people for their future? 
That's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment