Friday, July 12, 2019

Out of My Comfort Zone - Public Speaking

From the time I was a young girl in school, public speaking made me anxious. I was never comfortable speaking in front of groups, especially large ones. So I avoided those opportunities to speak in front of others. It’s true that as a principal, I was fine getting in front of the students and speaking with them; I could speak to parents comfortably, and I wrote and delivered speeches if I had a script in front of me.

Last night, I agreed to do a presentation for a Toastmasters Club to promote my book that has just been released. I wrote a speech, practiced in front of Randy, revised the speech based on his questions and feedback, and practiced some more. I silently recited the presentation in my head as I walked my dog. And then I got to the meeting. I was feeling okay, and my voice didn’t feel strained like it sometimes does when I’m nervous.

It helped that everyone was so nice and made me feel comfortable. And then I presented and included some Power Point slides. I thought the visuals could help me to remember that particular part of the presentation. I felt relieved when I was done, primarily because it was over. I knew I hadn’t hit a home run, but I thought I had made a positive connection with most of the members.

Toastmasters is an organization that helps its members to improve their communication skills in a no-pressure environment, and after the designated members presented their speeches, it was time for feedback.

Usually, one member is assigned to get up and share their observations and reactions to a speech. Because I was a guest who was practicing for future presentations, all members were given an opportunity to give me pointers. It was a powerful experience; I had never had that type of feedback before. Some of the members validated what I already knew. For example, I didn’t make connections by looking at people in the eye; I was looking at the tops of their heads and I never turned to look at the member who was my the left side. I should have been confident enough not to look at my notes because I was sharing my story. I could have had an attention-grabber at the beginning to draw the audience in. I didn’t need the Power Point; my story was effective without the slides. More important though, was the feeling I got after the members had an opportunity to share their suggestions with me. I felt empowered; I knew that I could improve, and they were giving me specific feedback that I could definitely work on for my next presentation.

As I reflect on my time as a principal, I realize that I stayed in my comfortable box where public speaking was concerned. My speeches were for a specific audience who knew me, and I had my notes as my security blanket; I wasn’t nervous because I was basically reading aloud.

I learned that now, as an author, when a book is completed and sent to press, the job is only 50% done. The other 50% is spent in promoting my book. In my mind, I am already preparing for the different groups I will be speaking with, keeping in mind the feedback I received. I know it will be a process to be able to speak with the confidence I observed from the Toastmasters, but I am determined to continue to progress. As a principal, one of my core values and beliefs was that I needed to continue to learn. Even in retirement, I continue to gain new skills.

Thank you to the Paradise Hawaii Toastmasters!

Thank you, Jicky Ferrer, for inviting me to speak at your Paradise Hawaii Toastmasters meeting!

Speaking and listening are essential skills. Thank you to the Toastmasters for your valuable feedback!











2 comments:

  1. Jan, they were so fortunate to have you speak to them! You did a super job, obviously, and your willing acceptance of their feedback speaks volumes about you---as I would expect! Congratulations and aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Margo! I am learning how to be an author from authors like YOU!

    ReplyDelete