Thursday, August 22, 2019

Mahalo for a Wonderful Morning!

Earlier this week, I was invited to a Kau Kea`au Pahoa Complex Principals Meeting to share about my book Leading with Aloha: From the Pineapple Fields to the Principal’s Office as well as my experiences as a principal. I wasn’t sure what to expect. During a phone conference with Complex Area Staff, I shared that I preferred that it be a conversation rather than a presentation. My husband Randy and I got up early for the plane ride and arrived at the meeting at about 8:30 a.m. We were greeted warmly with music, hugs, lei, and food. I immediately felt at-ease.

I shared a bit about why I wrote my book, and principals had an opportunity to ask questions or to participate in discussions about issues like Early Learning and Project-Based Learning. I have strong opinions about these issues, and I encouraged the principals to share their thoughts with others. After I had completed my book-signing and Randy and I were ready to leave, the KKP Complex Area Team stood and together, they sang an Oli Mahalo to us. It was so touching; I cannot adequately put into words how that made us feel. The KKP Complex Area went through a challenging time in recent years due to the lava flow which threatened homes and schools and forced students and staff to relocate. From our comfortable homes on Oahu, we read or heard about how the Complex and the Department came up with a plan that ensured the safety of the 1,700 students and 300 employees who were impacted by the lava flow as well as other health and safety issues. Everything is now back-to-normal, and students returned to their home schools. Perhaps, though, that coming together as a Complex Area will have a long-lasting impact that will benefit all of their students.

Thank you, KKP Complex Area principals and staff, for a wonderful day and for sharing your aloha with Randy and me! We are humbled.

Singing the Oli Mahalo to Randy and me

 The KKP Complex Area principals and staff

Such a cute bag of Big Island goodies






No comments:

Post a Comment