Thursday, February 6, 2020

Needing Positive Vibes

I’m a pretty positive person. I believe that things have a way of working out, that we can find common ground even if we disagree. That is probably the reason why I loved being an educator for 45 years. We know that what we do or say to students today and how we make them feel can have a long-term impact on them. That is our goal as educators.

I’ve started and deleted so many blog posts these past few weeks. When I started blogging 9+ years ago, I told myself that this blog would not be a venue to complain or criticize. Rather, I wanted to reflect on what I saw happening in our school or in education, our community, our state, our nation, and even the world, and share my thoughts. It has been challenging, these past few months and especially in the first month of 2020, to be positive, given the divisive nature of our nation. Sadly, I don’t see it getting better anytime soon, and that frightens me.

When we are surrounded by students who depend on adults to model behavior expectations, we may not realize how removed from the real world we are. We can only hope that the lessons we teach to our students today will live with them for the rest of their lives and that they will be better leaders than what we are seeing today.

This coming week, I’ll be spending several days with educators and students. I am hoping to fill my cup with their positive vibes so that I might have a more positive perspective about the future. That is my hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment