Sunday, March 1, 2020

Reading for Pleasure

When I was working, I primarily read professional articles, blogs, magazines, or books related to my profession as an educator. This is why I looked forward to the breaks when I’d binge-read books for pleasure. There’s nothing quite like being completely immersed in a good book!

Since my retirement, I’ve found distinct pleasure in reading new books as well as old favorites. Randy and I anxiously await the release date of new books by authors such as David Baldacci, Michael Connelly, James Rollins, or Lee Child. We peruse the shelves at Barnes & Noble to search for books that look interesting. We both like reading actual books, not e-books. There’s something about physically turning the pages until there are no more pages to turn.

The three most recent books I’ve read are Molokai and Daughter of Molokai by Alan Brennert and a book I received prior to its release date, Sharks in the Time of Saviors by Kawai Strong Washburn.  All have roots in Hawaii, and all are powerful novels; I couldn’t put them down. Despite the fact that I’ve lived in Hawaii all my life, these books made me question what I really know about this place, our history, and the people who make up our multicultural state.

I look forward to discovering new authors and books as I continue to partake in one of my favorite pastimes - reading. Let me know if there’s a book you would recommend for me 😊



2 comments:

  1. I love reading real books, too, Jan! Recently, I've enjoyed THE LOST GIRLS OF PARIS and THE REMBRANDT AFFAIR -- if you enjoy mysteries! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like mysteries, Margo! I need to check those books out. I did read The Paris Orphan and The Child, too. They kept my interest! Take care!

    ReplyDelete