Saturday, June 1, 2024

Memories from the Past

Back in 2019, I self-published my first book, “Leading with Aloha: From the Pineapple Fields to the Principal’s Office.” (blog “I Did It!😊”) At the time, I encouraged my husband Randy to write his memoir; he has had a much more “colorful” life than me, and his varied professional experiences would surely be an interesting read. I even offered to help him write it, but he still refused. 

Yesterday, Randy posted a memory on Facebook, and that story has triggered forgotten-memories and led to positive comments from his friends. This is the kind of interaction that I enjoy about social media where a photo or post brings a smile to our faces. Randy’s post did that. 

I asked Randy if I could share his post in a blog, and, surprise! He agreed. So here is Randy’s memory. In case  you are wondering, Randy was hospitalized and diagnosed with a heart condition which made him extremely exhausted after walking short distances. Fortunately, he is fine now although he is allergic to penicillin after taking it daily for too long. And the radio no longer works, but it is a keepsake which brings back fond memories for Randy. 

Randy’s Facebook Post, May 31, 2024


Around 1959 (I was in the 7th grade) I had to go into the hospital for several days.  My mom and dad bought me this Zenith transistor radio to keep me company.  I was out of school for several months, and returned for half days only.  This radio was my companion and friend!

Whenever I see this radio today, memories of moments in time come flashing back.  K-POI radio with djs like Ron Jacobs, Tom Moffat, Tom Rounds, the Bearded Bob Lowrie, "Little" Stevie Nicolet, Don Robbs, Dave the Moose Donnelly.  ILH football.  Fabian (the singer???) landing in Hawaii and being helicoptered to KPOI (tried to look for it from my hospital bed  with no success).  The early flights of the Mecury space capsule e.g. Alan Shepard, Virgil "Gus" Grissom, John Glenn -- getting up on school days at 2 a.m. to listen to the launches.  Hearing the news flash that President Kennedy had died.  Listening to K-POI in the late evening while standing on Date Street to view the nuclear explosion over Johnston Island that turned night into day in Honolulu, and knock the K-POI transmission off the air.  Eagerly waiting for K-POI to play Rene Paulo's "Here is Happiness" and calling in often to request it. (my dad was a drummer in Rene's group).

During my stay in the hospital, I was completely bedridden.  So my Zenith and K-POI provided me my only escape day and night.  Songs from that time always take me back to my intermediate school years : e.g. "First Name Initial" by Annette, 'Put Your Head on My Shoulders" by Paul Anka, "West Texas Town of El Paso" by Marty Robbins, "Hush a Bye"; by the Mystics, "Misty" by Johnny Mathis, "Venus" by Frankie Avalon. The list is as long as K-POI's playlist!

These are but a few of the memories I had with my Zenith companion and at my age, there are many wonderful and sad memories that came through my Zenith.

2 comments:

  1. Precious memories--thank you for sharing with aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margo! Yes, wonderful memories!

      Delete